21 Nov Air Compressors
Compressor maintenance is not a high priority for many people when units are used on an intermittent basis. The oil is rarely checked or changed. Like any engine, it is important to check the oil level occasionally for optimum equipment protection and performance.
Many people and businesses own small air compressors that are used for:
- inflating tires,
- basket balls,
- spray painting
- air tools
- impact wrenches etc.
Oil-lubricated compressors are powered by an electric motor, connected to a pump unit. When the electric motor turns the pump unit, a piston creates a vacuum as it travels up/down the cylinder and pulls air through the inlet port. As the inlet valves closes and the piston travels up the cylinder, air is compressed and pushed through the discharge port into the tank.
The tank is filled with compressed air at preset pressure, at which the motor and pump shut off. When the pressure in the tank drops to predetermined point, the motor and pump turn on again.
Air compressor pump unit contains:
- Piston rings
All require lubrication. Compressors of this type rely on ‘splash lubrication’ method to protect parts from wear.
Compressor Oil Challenges
Include the following:
- Reduce friction and dissipate heat. The more the pump runs, the hotter it gets
- Resist sludge and varnish to keep the valves from sticking/leaking
- Minimize foaming. A by-product of ‘splash lubrication’. Leads to over-heating and oxidation.
- Corrosion and rust control. Water, a by-product of compressed air, leading to rust and corrosion.
- Good cold-temperature performance for units in cold climates
PC Series Amsoil Synthetic Compressor oil
Amsoil PC series synthetic compressor oil provides outstanding protection and performance for small compressors. Amsoil compressor oils has the highest quality, thermally stable synthetic base stocks and premium non-detergent, ashless additives for maximum protection at high temperatures and pressures, lasting up to eight times longer than petroleum oils.
The benefits include the following:
- Helps improve operating efficiency
- Resists viscosity increase from oxidation
- Contains anti-foam additives to resist foam and reduce heat, oxidation and wear.
- Anti-rust fortifies to help prevent rust and corrosion
- Resists varnish, carbon acid formation